In over five decades of inspiring people and improving places, The Conservation Volunteers has consistently supported people working locally to improve their environment and their life chances, and created resilience in the most vulnerable communities.
Welcome to The Conservation Volunteers blogs. Where we share what we do.
Strangely I am not talking about the precipitation cycle, I am in fact speaking of the past months activities. As you can probably guess it has been a bedlam month getting to meet new groups, attending loads of meetings in the community and starting to build up an events list for the Cumbernauld Living Landscape.… Read the rest
Hello and welcome to our latest update for the goings on at the Tree Life Centre! An early apology for the lack of photos this month, there are only so many times you can see mud, mud and more mud let alone take pictures of it! … Read the rest
The day started off very wet. Though once we were briefed and started to get on with the job we realised the sun was popping out and thankfully it stayed that way
The technique we were taught was to cut (with a bow saw) away 90% of the trunk, thus leaving a remaining 10% enough so the sapling can still stand/lean on the other trees without
falling or splitting.… Read the rest
Back in Belhaven on Thursday, we continued working on the new footpath that we started earlier in the week. This was a lot of work but luckily we also had the East Lothian lot to help us as well.
This was Lesley’s last day out with us and she had prepared a large selection of cookies for the group, along with brownies from the local bakery and some pumpkin seed tarts made by Rob.… Read the rest
We returned to the site in sunny Belhaven
Our job was to start constructing more (“yes more”) wheelchair accessible paths
around their future pumpkin patch.
More timber edges were placed and thoughtfully pegged into place whilst another group shoveled, sweated, heaved and shifted all of the remaining wind dust.… Read the rest
Since my post as Youth Engagement Officer is still in its early stages, I still have the pleasure of being allowed to travel around and get a feel for the wide range – both in scope and in geography – of projects TCV are running.… Read the rest
On Thursday we continued the work at River Almond by tidying up the piles of wood we cut down last week and chopping down new trees. The reason we were tidying up the piles was to create habitats for invertebrates. We managed to tidy up all the piles and made good progress along the riverside.… Read the rest
On Wednesday last week we continued laying path at Beecraigs Country Park. The footpaths through the woodland had become muddy so the midweek groups have been working on surfacing them. As the hardcore was at the bottom of the hill and the path was at the top, it was a hard day of barrowing, but the gorgeous surroundings of the former forestry area made up for the physical graft!… Read the rest
When we got to Preston Street Primary School we were surprised to find we were not the only ones lending a hand to the project considering it was half term.
With our extra team of helpers we got under way with taking apart a rotten flower bed which we turned into a bench.… Read the rest